IR@PKUHSC  > 北京大学临床肿瘤学院  > 病理科
学科主题临床医学
Do Young Patients with Colorectal Cancer Have a Poorer Prognosis than Old Patients?
Li, Ming1; Li, Ji-You1,2; Zhao, Ai-Lian2; Gu, Jin1
关键词Colorectal Cancer Young Prognosisp Cea Mmp-2 P27(Kip1)
刊名JOURNAL OF SURGICAL RESEARCH
2011-05-01
DOI10.1016/j.jss.2010.10.040
167期:2页:231-236
收录类别SCI
文章类型Article
WOS标题词Science & Technology
类目[WOS]Surgery
资助者Beijing New Star Project on Science and Technology ; Beijing New Star Project on Science and Technology
研究领域[WOS]Surgery
关键词[WOS]CARCINOEMBRYONIC ANTIGEN ; LARGE-BOWEL ; COLON-CARCINOMA ; PATIENTS LESS ; AGE ; TISSUE ; ADENOCARCINOMA ; EXPRESSION ; SURVIVAL ; DECADES
英文摘要

Background. Colorectal cancer (CRC) is generally a disease of the older population. The prognosis and clinicopathologic features of CRC in the young, compared with those in older patients, continue to be debated. The aim of this study was to compare the survival, clinicopathologic features, and tumor markers of CRC in patients aged 40 y or younger and older patients.

Methods. A total of 230 patientswithCRCof stage I-III were assessed retrospectively, with an endpoint of recurrence or metastasis after curative operation. The markersCEA, MMP-2, and p27(kip1) were studied by immunohistochemistry in all patients.

Results. The young group comprised 28 (12.2%) patients aged 40 y or younger with a median age of 36 y. The remaining 202 patients (87.8%) comprised the old group, with a median age of 61 y. There were no statistical differences in gender distribution, tumor sites, tumor size, or gross type between the young and old groups. The young group had a higher incidence of mucinous adenocarcinoma (17.9%) than the old group (6.4%) (P = 0.035). The distribution of stage, differentiation grade, and extent of venous invasion were similar. The median disease-free survival time was 60 mo for the young group and 49 mo for the old. Univariate analysis revealed that this difference was not significant (P = 0.1158). Multivariate Cox regression analysis also demonstrated that the age of the patient was not an independent factor for the prognosis of CRC. There were no statistical differences between the young and old groups in the expression of CEA, MMP-2, or p27(kip1).

Conclusions. The results of this study indicated that there was a subtle difference in the incidence of mucinous adenocarcinoma between young and old patients with CRC. However, stage I-III young patients had a similar disease-free survival period as the older patients. Other clinicopathologic characteristics, and tumor markers such as CEA, MMP-2, and p27(kip1), were also similar between young and old CRC patients. (C) 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

语种英语
所属项目编号2006B55
资助者Beijing New Star Project on Science and Technology ; Beijing New Star Project on Science and Technology
WOS记录号WOS:000289407800053
Citation statistics
Cited Times:20[WOS]   [WOS Record]     [Related Records in WOS]
文献类型期刊论文
条目标识符http://ir.bjmu.edu.cn/handle/400002259/54098
Collection北京大学临床肿瘤学院_病理科
作者单位1.Peking Univ, Gastrointestinal Surg Dept, Sch Oncol,Key Lab Carcinogenesis & Translat Res, Beijing Canc Hosp & Inst,Minist Educ, Beijing 100036, Peoples R China
2.Peking Univ, Dept Pathol, Sch Oncol,Key Lab Carcinogenesis & Translat Res, Beijing Canc Hosp & Inst,Minist Educ, Beijing 100036, Peoples R China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Li, Ming,Li, Ji-You,Zhao, Ai-Lian,et al. Do Young Patients with Colorectal Cancer Have a Poorer Prognosis than Old Patients?[J]. JOURNAL OF SURGICAL RESEARCH,2011,167(2):231-236.
APA Li, Ming,Li, Ji-You,Zhao, Ai-Lian,&Gu, Jin.(2011).Do Young Patients with Colorectal Cancer Have a Poorer Prognosis than Old Patients?.JOURNAL OF SURGICAL RESEARCH,167(2),231-236.
MLA Li, Ming,et al."Do Young Patients with Colorectal Cancer Have a Poorer Prognosis than Old Patients?".JOURNAL OF SURGICAL RESEARCH 167.2(2011):231-236.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
谷歌学术
谷歌学术Similar articles in
[Li, Ming]'s Articles
[Li, Ji-You]'s Articles
[Zhao, Ai-Lian]'s Articles
百度学术
百度学术Similar articles in
[Li, Ming]'s Articles
[Li, Ji-You]'s Articles
[Zhao, Ai-Lian]'s Articles
必应学术
必应学术Similar articles in
[Li, Ming]'s Articles
[Li, Ji-You]'s Articles
[Zhao, Ai-Lian]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.